Seirei no Moribito fan archive

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seirei no Moribito fan archive

Home to all fans...you are all welcome!!!

+2
Alistair
GrinfilledCelt
6 posters

What Anime Are You Watching?

GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

What Anime Are You Watching? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

Post  GrinfilledCelt Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29 am

I just finished watching the Summer Wars movie. It kicks ass! Directed by Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time). Even though I just posted a link to Justin Sevakis' review, I don't recommend you read the synopsis section because it is full of spoilers. However:
    Justin Sevakis wrote:Overall (sub) : A
    Story : A+
    Animation : A-
    Art : A
    Music : B+

+ Incredibly entertaining, and intriguingly intelligent. Accessible and fast-paced. Pretty much perfect.
    − You are not watching it right this second.
    I think he liked it.
    Justin Sevakis also wrote:By this measure, sheer entertainment value, it's the best anime to come along since Cowboy Bebop back in the mid 90s.
    I wouldn't go that far. There has been some very entertaining anime since then, but it is very good.
    Alistair
    Alistair
    Model Moderator

Post  Alistair Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Grin,

All right. I'll check that one out then, when I get a chance. Holiday seasons really, really suck. =O Plus, my hours at work have been getting cut (Which doesn't make sense, really. Considering we are picking up business again. Hehe.) ALOT. =(

Ali
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Cutting your hours at the beginning of the Crispness season is downright mean. They did that to me a couple of years ago and still haven't restored them.

I've been watching Yumeiro Patissiere. It appeals to me because it's cute and involves cooking. I have always liked cooking anime starting with Yakitate Japan*. For this one, they got an honest to gods pastry chef for their technical consultant.

I recently started watching Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra. It's well done, but the story is bizarre, and difficult to follow at first. I haven't gotten much past that yet, but it shows potential.

* "Hey, Godzilla! Ya kid ate Japan!"
    Alistair
    Alistair
    Model Moderator

Post  Alistair Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:53 am

Grin,

Hahaha. Pastry Chef. That's awesome. =) That's cool, if what your into...I like do my own thing and messing around with new stuff, but nothing in that manner, at any rate. My brother in law is a Chef, and about to start his own place coming up soon, despite I think it's a bad time to start, but...he will do his own thing.

Ali
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:38 am

Having your own kitchen and restaurant is what being a chef is all about. It is unfortunate that he is starting his business during a recession, but if he is good, that shouldn't matter too much.
    Alistair
    Alistair
    Model Moderator

Post  Alistair Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 am

Grin,

I do agree with that statement, but I think it would be better if he the economy was a little bit more stable than what it is now, all in all and then I would start to build something. Again, that's just me, and being paranoid and sometime that's all it takes is taking the risk, and could be a big hit. Anything can happen. Research is key to everything.

Ali
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:44 am

Whilst reading an article at ANN about how Ponyo failed to get an Oscar nomination, an unfamiliar title of one that did caught my eye - The Secret of Kells. Being Irish, I had to find out more. It looks good, has kind of a Tartakovsky look to it and an interesting story.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:36 am

This new season isn't turning out to be as dreary as it seemed. There is some watchable stuff after all.

The one I'm really enjoying is Durarara!!.
    Ryuugamine Mikado is a boy who longs for the exciting life of the big city. At the invitation of his childhood friend Masaomi, he transfers to a school in Ikebukuro. Masaomi has warned him about people he doesn't want to cross in the city: a champion fighter, an informant, and a mysterious gang called "Darazu." Nervous from Masaomi's stories, Mikado witnesses an urban legend on his first day in the city, the Headless Rider astride a black motorcycle. From then on, the existence of supernatural cases and a gang called the Yellow Turbans will rise to the surface, and Ikebukuro will pushed to the breaking point.
    It's well done by the same people who did Bacchno!.

Nodame Cantabile: Finale continues to be as entertaining as ever. Going to hate to see this one end.

Take the girls from K-ON!, put them in the Army and stick them in some backwater post and you have a fair idea of what Sora no Woto is about, but that's actually a good thing. I like this show a lot it's well done with a good story and without being too moe.
    After a cease-fire during a long war. A second-class Bugler soldier, Kanata Sorami, is reasigned to her new outpost to a stronghold Fortress in the little city of Seize, where other female soldiers reside to serve in a multi purpose task, 1st: maintain the fortress, 2nd: contribute to the traditions of the city since all are young females and the folklore tales that the young maidens keept a demon under control, and 3rd: also to be prepared in case of a non probable attack due to the isolation of the city.
    Katanagatari is another good one. It has a simple but striking artistic style, interesting characters who interact amusingly and a captivating story.
    This story takes place in the Edo era where Yasuri Shichika is the seventh head of the Kyotou school of Japanese sword martial arts living in Fushou Island with his sister Nanami. With the order from a female samurai general Togame, he sets out for a trip to collect the twelve treasured swords created by a legendary swordsmith Shikizaki Kiki.
    That "Kyotou school of Japanese sword martial arts" is a sword less school of swordsmanship. I can't believe they left that out. It's kind of important. Since he doesn't use a sword, he is immune to the ill effects of wielding these special swords he is supposed to collect. That's why he was the one picked to do it.

The rest of the stuff I have been watching is pretty mediocre. Anyone know of anything good I'm missing?
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

I got myself a copy of Disney's English dub of Ponyo yesterday. So now I have seen the English dub twice. I can't say that it's bad. It's just different. After watching the subs so many times, I notice every little change. There was one point where what they didn't change sticks out like a canker sore to me.

It was when Ponyo's dad takes her back from Sauce K and he is wading out into the sea looking for her. When his mom reaches him and picks him up, he begins to cry hard. For some reason, they kept the original VA's crying in the dub. I recognize it, it isn't the same voice that was speaking a moment ago.

Anyway, there are some cool things in the Extras. There is a version of the movie using Miyazaki's own storyboards. The soundtrack is normal - but you see a progression of hand drawn pictures instead of the regular video, in your choice of either English, French or Japanese; with or without subs.

In the usual interviews with various people that made the movie, Miyazaki himself confirms my interpretation of Fujimoto. He says that Fujimoto is not evil, but just your typical Japanese father making mistakes while trying to protect his daughter. I mean, come on, guys; how would you react if you found out your precious daughter was sneaking off to see some guy? =0)
    Alistair
    Alistair
    Model Moderator

Post  Alistair Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:38 am

I still really do wanna see this, so, yeah. I guess it's on my to get list as of now, but when I get the time. *laughs* Other than that, all I've been seeing is more craptastic than prior craptastic stuff. Granted, I haven't been looking to hard to be honest, maybe it's time to do that again since Summer is coming up, I can't do much gaming on the notebook without frying it. =)

-Ali
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:44 am

Let me put in a word of moderation about Ponyo. Obviously, I really like it, but not everyone does. The guys over at ANN hated it - even suggested that Miyazaki has lost it and should retire. I can't say that there isn't anything to their criticisms. The story is slow, weak and scattered. If you are like myself and thoroughly charmed by the mere presence of children; then you'll love it. It is worth seeing in any case, but for you maybe not worth buying.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 pm

The industry has been continuing it's trend of pumping out loads of moe and fan-service crap to hide a few good shows in.

High School of the Dead is a fun one. It's your typical zombie apocalypse story but surprisingly well done despite it's gratuitous fan-service.

I don't remember if I have mentioned Katanagatari yet, but it comes very high on my list. It's so sumptuously animated that they only produce one episode a month. It seems that there was once a swordsmith so awesome that current swordsmiths can only dream of being so good. He made twelve special swords that would render anyone who possessed all of them invincible. Who better to be trusted to get them for you from the present owners than the master of the swordless style of sword fighting?

Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin is the last good one I've discovered this season. The new principal of this high school that specializes in the occult thinks that most of that stuff is BS. One of her teachers is a time traveler from the future who is looking for "Nostradamus' Key" which causes worldwide disaster. He only has a few weeks.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 pm

News item: They will be re-releasing Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (Knocking on Heaven's Door) in North America on December 12th. I remember how I resisted downloading it for a year so I could see it for the first time in the theater. That wasn't easy to do even though at the time the download would have taken a week.

ANN has it's Fall Anime Preview out. They are still adding to it so check it every day to keep reading it from becoming a chore. Remember, these guys are professional anime critics (so to speak) and are quite jaded so their reviews are harsh.

There is some good stuff coming out, at least the outlook is better than it has been for the last year or so. There doesn't seem to be much moe junk and the fan-service isn't quite so gratuitous and ubiquitous (it's still very much there though).

GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 am

I don't remember if I posted about The Secret of Kells here or not. If I did, it was over a year ago and only because someone had pointed me at the trailer.

I hadn't heard anything else about it until today when I wandered through Best Buy and there it was. It followed me home and I just finished watching it. It is the best animation I have seen that didn't come out of Japan or Pixar in a long time.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm

I just finished watching the new Gantz live action movie. ANN's review was spot on. The movie is sanitized of most of the darker aspects of the manga/anime, and many plot points are changed or missing. If you are familiar with the anime or manga you will be a bit disappointed. All the fights are changed and considerably shorter. For instance:
    Spoiler:

All that said, it is still a very good movie. I plan on showing it to several of my non-anime viewing friends and relatives.

The copy I found was, to my surprise, dubbed (badly) in English.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:14 am

I just finished watching a movie I downloaded recently. I barely remember doing so and it must have been because the title caught my interest. That is the best explanation because it was subbed by Lambda-Delta who I don't even remember hearing of before and I also have never heard of this movie either.

This is surprising because it's a very good movie. It should have quite a buzz going by now since it's so good. As soon as I opened it up I was struck by the lavish backgrounds and attention to detail. This movie is beautiful! Maybe even better than Studio Ghibli. The story is good too, and well told.

It's about five rural kids who go to summer camp for a week. It's kind of a cheapo summer camp. It's just their school. They are supposed to stay there and take care of themselves and study. (Gee. Thanks Mom and Dad. [/sarcasm]) Unless you already know, you'll never guess where this story ends up (If you're thinking _Breakfast Club_ you're not even in the ball park).

I can just hear you now, "Hey Grin, you dumbass! You forgot to say the name of the movie!" but you're wrong. I didn't forget. I'm just teasing you. Somebody is going to have to show a little interest before I'll say.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Since Ali asked, I thought I'd do an update on the more recent stuff I've been watching.

Steins;Gate is about a self-proclaimed mad scientist who has developed a time machine. Between his madness/shtick and time-line shifts the show can be more than a bit confusing, but stick it out and I think you'll agree that it's worth it.

Tiger and Bunny isn't one I have been watching but I've heard from several sources that it is good. I just have to find the time. All I know is that it is about super-heroes with corporate sponsors.

Naruto has finally gotten back on topic. Sauce-K has returned and wants to start a big war. The hidden villages, including Kohana, want to kill him to prevent this. Even whats-her-ass, the skinny blonde girl who always had a crush on him, wants to kill him. Naruto still wants to save him and return him to the normal life of a shinobi, of course, but he has no one to back him up including Sauce-K. There has been some awesome fights lately, too.

Deadman Wonderland is about a privately owned prison that is also a theme park where the inmates are forced to perform. Not bad, except the main character is a whiny little bitch.

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control is about an other worldly bank where people have Yu-Gi-Oh-like fights with their very existence at stake. Its better than it sounds.

If you haven't seen Black Lagoon, shame on you. For some years now, you have needlessly missed an action/adventure series that can actually hold a candle to Cowboy Bebop. Go watch it right now. I mention that because there is a new OAV for the series called Roberta's Blood Trail.

Hen Zemi is one that will cause you much merriment or thoroughly disgust you or more likely both. It is about a college girl who takes a course in human...uh...something or another... basically a psychology course in deviant sexual behavior. Need I say more? (Say, "no!")

Mitsudomoe I&II Moe hilarity not seen since Azumanga Daioh. The show centers around three sisters. One is a schemer, one is a dark bookworm and one is an athletic airhead who is obsessed with boobs. They have a single father who is continuously mistaken for a criminal by the police. I found a video of my favorite sequence with one of my favorite songs. Unfortunately, they only do that type of thing twice.

Also they have managed to keep Burn Notice interesting enough to keep me watching. Not bad for a show I only started watching because Bruce Campbell was in it.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Here is one from last October that I failed to post here:

I've been intending to do a review of the Fall line-up, but I've been able to watch so many of them this time it becomes a daunting task. That is until I re-located this website that each season posts a chart with quick descriptions of the new shows:

http://chartfag.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/fall-2010-export-well-this-is-late-lawl-v1.jpg

This time, I bookmarked it. So open a tab to the chart and follow along as I add my two cents* to it. My comments assume that you have read the description on the chart.

----
    Star Driver: I haven't decided whether this is one worth watching. It's weird and confusing and the characters aren't very compelling. So far it's just the story that keeps me watching.

Panty and Stockings: ANN hated it and I can see why. It's as if Adult Swim had made Powerpuff Girls. Crude animation and crude jokes. ...It's funny though.

Kuragehime: Looks pretty good. All the girls in this apartment building are all real otaku. Almost none of them are even passably good looking and all of them have a fatal otaku flaw of one of the usual flavors. I lol'd frequently while watching the first episode of this one and am impatiently waiting for the next one to be released.

Bakuman: I am quickly growing fond of this one. There is a refreshing lack of fanservice in this one which has been replaced with good solid storytelling.

Letter Bee Reverse: If you haven't already seen the first season of this, don't bother. If you have it's just more of the same. It is like a much slower and less interesting version of D-Grey Man.

Togainu no Chi: They rushed the back story of this one to get right into the story, leaving you going, "WTF?" It also lacks character development but the story is interesting even if you're still wondering about how all this came to be. This is one that could become good or could turn into a steaming pile.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru: Another one that I am looking forward to additional episodes. Hotori wants to be a detective and has amazing powers of deduction. The amazing part is that she is otherwise an airhead. There are good supporting characters in this one, too. Very funny!

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls: There is way too much gratuitous fan service in this otherwise decent show.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - World God Only Knows: By "Capturing God" they mean that he is the king of dating video games. Now go back and re-read what the chart says. I'll wait.

So Keima has to make these real life girls fall in love with him, displacing the run away spirits in their hearts so that the devil can capture them. After that, the girls forget all about him. Otherwise this thing would get awfully messy. ...but wait. Wouldn't it get messy anyway because all the other girls would see him wooing one after another? Well, no one said it had to make sense (or told you to think about it much). Still it's a fun one.

Otome Yokai Zakuro: I really don't have much to add about this one. It isn't bad, it's not great. If it appeals to you, you'll probably like it.

A Certain Magical Index S2: See Letter Bee Reverse above, except that it isn't anything like D-Grey Man and is somewhat more highly recommended.

Ore No Imouto - My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute: I didn't think I'd like this one but it is surprisingly good.

Sora no Otoshimono Forte: Meh. I've seen three episodes of this so far and I had to open one again before I remembered it. That's not a good sign.

You Are Delicious - You Are Umasou: This is a kiddy show in six minute episodes. It's cute. The picture on the chart is misleading. The show looks like it was drawn by a child and has more of a picture book look than an animation.
    ----
    I don't think that I have ever managed to begin watching so many shows from one season. I wonder how many I'll finish.

*Bear in mind that I tend to like all anime, have a weakness for moe and am hostile to mecha.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:09 pm

I just finished watching a movie called Mai Mai Shinko to Sennen no Mahou from anime-rg - ray=out subs. It's one of those slice-of-life stories that seem to be so popular around here. It's very well done with a strong Ghibli influence.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 am

Just saw the live action version of Space Battleship Yamato. It was very well done. I'd buy it.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:59 pm

I have spent several decades avidly reading science fiction. In that time I have read many stories related to time travel. I have seen many different ideas dealing with how to handle the inherent paradoxes involved. I have seen many of these ideas repeated over and over. Never have I seen such an original and elegant method of time travel as tragically presented in Steins;Gate.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:31 am

I just noticed something for those of you who still watch Bleach. They have a new closing sequence. Nothing unusual about that, but it prominently features Isen and his final fight with Ichigo. This is near the end of a whole story arc after all that happened and Ichigo kills him. Strange.
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Last night I watched the first episode of Sakamichi no Apollon [Kids on the Slope]. That's the new one directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) with music by Yoko Kanno (also Cowboy Bebop). It's the first time they have worked together in a long, long time.

What Anime Are You Watching? - Page 2 HugeSpoiler
    Huge Spoiler:

It's r e a l l y good. Nishimi Kaoru is a kid who's father has a job that requires he move around a lot. So Nishimi is accustomed to changing schools often and being treated as an outsider. The first episode has him beginning his first day at a new school and being shunned by the other students as he expects. The only one who is friendly is some geek who asks if he wants to join the Radio Club ("I'm not interested in radios.") but the kid gives him some advise, "It's not a good idea to antagonize the [absent] guy who sits behind me. He's a notorious thug that even the teacher can't manage. His name is [Sentaro] Kawabuchi and if he zeros in on you, it's all over."

Then there is also Mukae Ritsuko, the class representative who shows him around the school. On this tour, some jerk "accidently" beans him with a baseball. Nishimi becomes nauseous when such incidents occcur and has found that going up to the roof helps with this. On his way up, he meets another hostile guy but are interrupted by some seniors who have the keys to the roof and won't give one to Nishimi. So Hostile Guy beats up the seniors to get a key for which he charges Nishimi 100.000 (yen, I guess) which he doesn't have, so he goes back to class. When he gets there he finds that Hostile Guy is the "thug" the radio geek warned him about. Every one thinks it's all over for the new guy but Sentaro seems to like Nishimi for some reason (probably because he doesn't act afraid of him).

[/Spoiler]

This episode references a music album: Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (1958). I found and downloaded that and it's very good jazz. I can't wait to see what goodies are in episode two.

What Anime Are You Watching? - Page 2 Front
    GrinfilledCelt
    GrinfilledCelt
    Model Moderator

Post  GrinfilledCelt Wed May 02, 2012 11:34 pm

The overall plot of the show isn't all that compelling - a handful of high school kids who are into jazz - but there is masterful storytelling. It's all in the details.

As I suspected, if you're paying attention, each episode (so far) clues you in on some excellent real-world jazz. Episode two mentions Elvin Jones and Tommy Flanagan, but didn't mention any specific album. They are two local Detroit guys. Episode three talks about Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz. Also, there visual clues in the background of the music shop. There were a number of Miles Davis albums on the wall. It's all really good stuff that I wasn't familiar with before. Bear in mind that the show takes place in 1966 so none of the music is from after that.

Plus Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for the show is available now, too, and it is just as good as I knew it would be.
    Alistair
    Alistair
    Model Moderator

Post  Alistair Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I've kinda dropped out of anime to be honest, it's been to busy for me in the real world. Maybe I'll pick up a few of the series you've commented on and try it, but not sure. Since this show ended and Dennou Coil it's gone down hill, IMO.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:08 am